I was listening to a programme on DBS on Radio 4 last week then found the BBC article from the spring about difficulties faced by those with Parkinson’s http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22121686
We are hoping to develop an app to support communication for Parkinson’s people, but here are a few strategies that will help speech:
- Good posture and breathing will help to manage the volume of the voice
- Keep background noise at a minimum
- Ask people to remind you to speak more loudly
- Give the person more time to think and speak
- Don’t be afraid to ask someone to repeat what they said
- People with Parkinson’s are often unable to use facial expression – don’t assume they are not interested in talking to you!
- Practice using your voice at home by reading aloud and even recording your efforts – you may think you are shouting but you won’t be!